If you are a single mother looking to go back to school, you should definitely look into the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG). The FSEOG is a grant for money awarded to students who show that they are in financial need to be used towards their tuition/schooling. The great thing about this grant is it if like getting free money, it is not a loan, and it does not need to be repaid so you have nothing to lose applying for this grant.
First you must know if you are eligible to apply for the FSEOG grant. You must meet the following criteria:
- be a legal U.S. citizen
- do not have a bachelor’s degree
- cannot be in default on any federal student loan
As a single mother you should have a good chance to be awarded a FSEOG grant if you are of low income.
Applying for the FSEOG Grant
The entire application process is done online however there are a few steps involved. The first thing that you to do before you apply is fill out a form called the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA form). Below are some tips on where and how to fill out a FAFSA form.
To fill out your FAFSA form visit the FAFSA website where you can complete the form online. A big part of the application process verifies your income and assets to sure you are in need of the grant. You will need the following information:
- Your social security number
- your parents’ social security number if you are a dependent student
- Your Federal tax information, and your parents tax information if you are a dependent student. Tax forms needed include:IRS 1040, 1040A, and 1040EZ.
- record of you and/or your parents untaxed income
- Detailed financial information such as balances of checking and savings accounts, as well as any investments such as stocks, mutual funds, or bonds etc.
When to Apply
Unlike the Federal Pell Grant which will provide funds to every eligible student, the FSEOG grant works on a first come first serve basis. Each year the school receives a certain amount of funding, and once they have handed out all of the funding they received they will no longer be awards the grants until they receive their next round of funding. Be sure to apply as early as possible, each school has their own openings and deadlines, so you can find the deadlines on your school website under financial aid, or we recommend that you get in touch with the financial aid department of the college or university you plan on attending.
How much will I get?
The amount you will receive for your grant varies on several factors which include:
- your amount of financial need
- when you apply for the grant
- the amount of funding your particular school has
- the amounts of other forms of financial aid you receive
The amount you can receive can range anywhere between $100 to the maximum of $4000 per school year.
How Will I be Paid?
If you are awarded an FSEOG grant, the funds will be used towards your outstanding tuition charges if you have any. If you do not have any withstanding tuition or school costs, then a check or direct deposit will be made to you.